Had enough of cold feet, chilly drafty rooms and dry dusty air? With the cost of energy what it is, we believe that radiant floor heating is a viable alternative to the standard (convection) forced air heating system. Instead of just heating the air, a radiant floor heating systemoffers true thermal comfort by radiating warmth from within the floor, distributing steady, even heat to the air, walls, furniture and floor. There are no heaters, radiators or vents to work around, making it easy to place things where you want them – not where your vents dictate. With no blowing fans, life is that much healthier for anyone allergic to dust and allergens. With the ultimate control over your heat, room by room, radiant floor heating promises you the utmost in comfort while consuming less energy.
Snow and Ice Melting Systems
Radiant heating systems are also used to remove snow and ice by circulating a heat transfer solution (usually antifreeze and water) through a piping system. These systems are safer, can reduce indoor maintenance costs (no salt or water tracked inside), eliminate the costs of snow removal, reduce liability exposure, and provide the ultimate in convenience.
What is radiant floor heat?
There are two main types of heating: convection and radiant. Convection heating heats the space by heating the air. Radiant heating heats objects in the space without heating the air first. In a radiant or hydronic floor heating system warm water circulates through pipes located beneath the floor – radiating heat upward and creating a feeling similar to standing in the sun on a summer’s day. Instead of simply maintaining interior temperatures within a certain range, radiant heating reduces the loss of body heat by warming the interior surfaces of floors, walls, ceilings, windows and doors. In addition to all the fittings and parts you’ll need, we supply cross-linked polyethylene pipe specially designed by Rehau for hydronic heating systems. This innovative pipe material has outstanding physical and thermal properties. Versatile, durable and resistant to the stresses of water pressure and temperature fluctuations, this pipe is far superior than other pipe. Manufactured using a chemical process known as the Engel Method, this pipe is resistant to kinking and cracking, and is much stronger and more flexible than pipe which has not undergone the same chemical metamorphosis.
Advantages of Radiant Floor Heating.
The overall reduction in lower energy consumption is due to several things:
- Reduction in room temperature stratification: Radiant floor heating all but eliminates the familiar but uncomfortable situation of warm air rising to the ceiling while cool air stays at the floor level. This reduces the transfer of heat through the ceiling and upper portions of the wall. The greater the height of a room, or the taller the building, the more beneficial this feature is.
- Out of Mind, Out of Sight: Radiant floor heating systems and piping system that supplies the warm water are easily concealed and routed throughout the building. This places fewer constraints on the placement of furniture placement and will preserve the architectural aesthetics of rooms without compromising thermal comfort.
- Easily Zoned: Radiant Floor heating gives you control over the temperature of each room. You’ll never have the problem of finding one room boiling hot while another remains freezing cold. You’ll be able to find the perfect temperature for each room, which should lower heating bills.
- No Air Motion: In addition to distributing dust, odors and airborne viruses throughout the building, forced air systems pressurize rooms increasing air leakage and wasting energy. In radiant floor heating systems, on the other hand, air motion is virtually undetectable.
- Noise Reduction: Unlike a central forced air system, radiant floor heating systems are extremely quiet. They eliminate expansion noise, sheet metal vibration or velocity noises caused by air motion.
- Increases Boiler Efficiency: Since your comfort can be maintained at a much lower temperature, the heating load is much lighter than it is in a central forced air system. This should reduce the the load on your boiler system increasing its life span.
- Adaptable: Low temperature heat from solar collectors, geothermal heat pumps, or waste heat recovery systems can often be utilized.
Radiant floor heating is much more than a solution for residential heating. It’s not only allows you to provide heat and warmth, but it keeps things dry allowing you to maintain comfortable indoor environment all year long. This is a great benefit for any commericial, industrial or institutional undertaking in a cold and wet environment. Here are just a few examples:
- Residences – cottages, custom homes and renovations.
- Colleges & Universities
- Fire Stations – After a run, the firefighters can pull the trucks in and just let them sit. In no time at all the ice and snow melt off. Plus, they can lay their hoses out on the ground and come back to find them dry as a bone.
- Driveways – underground parking lots and walkways.
Contact us today at the following location: